[CQ-Contest] TOM HAMMOND, N0SS, SILENT KEY

Mike Fatchett W0MU w0mu at w0mu.com
Fri Aug 5 15:43:25 PDT 2011

It is with a heavy heart that I report the passing of Tom Hammond, N0SS,
at 0125 UTC Friday, August 5th. Tom died peacefully with his family
around him at his residence in Jefferson City, Missouri, following many
battles with cancer over the last 15 years. No one I have ever known
handled illness with the kind of optimism and faith as he did. There are
many cancer survivors alive today because Tom taught them how to fight
the disease psychologically and emotionally. Tom was an early member of
the Elecraft family with K2 serial number 008 and continued his loyalty
as one of the original beta-testers on the K3 (also serial number 008).
Wayne once told him, "Just when we think we have something perfect,
Hammond comes along and finds a glitch for us." Early renditions of the
K3 firmware incorporated many of Tom's suggestions. Funeral services are
tentatively scheduled for Saturday, August 13th (a week from tomorrow).
Suggestions for memorial contributions will be posted after the family
completes arrangements tomorrow afternoon. Thank you all for your
prayers and support these last several months. 73, Kent Trimble, K9ZTV
Jefferson City, MO