[CQ-Contest] KR2Q - RX1CQ

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sun Aug 7 08:29:56 PDT 2011

On the contrary, Ron ... I'm not trying to stifle your right to express
your opinion at all.  I simply don't agree that contest activity and the
results thereof are a privacy issue, and it seems to me that I also have
the right to express that position publicly ... especially since I
participate in contests and you don't.

In fact I'll take this opportunity to disagree with you on another
point.  In my opinion there is no "continued erosion of trust" in
radiosport ... it has been there all along and with good reason.  I've
written on this in the past, but as a quick summary the human tendency
for dishonesty is greater when there is perceived anonymity, when there
is a perception that the effects of cheating are really not that
damaging, when there is a perception that everyone else is doing it
anyway, when there is disagreement with one or more of the rules, or
when there is the perception that cheating could compensate for some
other unfairness in the playing field.  ALL of those elements can be
found in radiosport, and allusions to unfair practices have been rampant
for decades.   The difference now is that the mechanics for discovery
(including the availability of open logs) are much improved, and the
arrival of the internet has brought much broader visibility into the issue.

By the way, fans of professional cycling have been doing exactly that
for quite a while now ... asking to see the results of Lance Armstrong's
test results.  I was a fan of that sport myself for decades and raced
time trials at the masters (old fart) level as recently as ten years
ago, collecting podium finishes at the Arizona state championships for
three straight years.  The performance advantages of doping (no, I never
did it) are very significant and a huge percentage of the top tier
professional cyclists over the last several years have at one time or
another failed one or more drug tests.  Almost nobody believes that
professional cycling is completely clean even today, and we certainly
don't believe it was when Lance was racing.  The current federal grand
jury investigation doesn't either.

For the record, I am NOT asking that UBN reports be made public ... but
I can fully understand the sentiment of those who do.

Dave   AB7E