[CQ-Contest] Echoes

James Cain jamesdavidcain at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 21:26:55 PST 2011

Dang, something I forgot to mention in my 3830 ARRL 10 Meter Contest posting...

I have full CW break-in and couldn't live without it. I use an Ameritron QSK-5 box that gives me very clean break-in (no artifacts, etc). On Sunday, the weirdest thing ... I swear I was hearing my own signal, echoed back to me. At first I thought it was somebody trying to steal my frequency but quickly realized that the signal ended right after I stopped transmitting. I listened closely between my "live" dits and dahs and, yes indeed, it was me!

This was when I was transmitting into my Sterba curtain array at 60/240 degrees.

I presume others experienced this.

Jim Cain
At The K1TN Superstation
Black Hole, Wisconsin