[CQ-Contest] Suggestion for NAQP

KL7RA kl7ra at ptialaska.net
Wed Jan 12 18:28:34 PST 2011

I don't believe there are any records for the NAQP SSB or CW so that
issue isn't on the table and I doubt there is a committee for rule making
unlike the CQWW that requires a large group of international contesters
to keep up with the technology issues etc.

I do have a suggestion that would have a limited impact on the NCJ results
which is to sort the High Power entries to score and publish them instead
of just dumping them into check logs.

We already have HP in the contest, some use it and you can even submit
the score to 3830, except these logs go nowhere.

The Sweepstakes, the most popular domestic USA contest scores both
HP and Low Power stations to their order of finish. The awards are the
same and often there can be almost twice as many entries using LP then HP

I doubt many of the top ten would switch to HP as LP with SO2R is easy
for hardware setup and this is a good contest to excel with that skill. Many
ops may keep operating in the contest as running more power makes more
Q's and the activity would go up allowing the traditional NAQP top ten LP
better rates.

And to answer the usual rule change request, "what's in it for you?" I live in
Alaska. I really like the NAQP and its 12 hour format running M2. It's just
the last four hours on the low bands are not that much fun for us.

73 Rich KL7RA