[CQ-Contest] Distance + Path DX contest scoring method (Excel proof of concept)

Pat Rundall pat at n0hr.com
Fri Jul 1 12:44:50 PDT 2011

After reading many posts on this, I decided to create a scoring system that
would incorporate both distance and polar path. To do this, I simply used
Excel with the data from the CTY.DAT file to get lat/lon and then calculate
distance from a known point and the polar path. Users can test it with their
own QTH and tweak the effect of distance and polar path as they wish.

The default scoring method gives a score of:

QSO points = 1 + distance points + polar path points

where distance points = point to point distance in km / 5000
and polar path points = 3 * (max latitude of the path/90)  (for QSOs where
the longitude differs by more than 90 degrees)

A bit complex? Perhaps.

http://www.n0hr.com/n0hr_dxtest_scoring.xls

If you have MS Excel, please take a look at this and see if you think this
would make sense. Before you complain about it, note my comments at the top
of the sheet.

73
Pat N0HR
http://www.n0hr.com