[CQ-Contest] Looking for a station in Washington DC

Eric Rosenberg ericrosenberg.dc at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 12:41:00 PDT 2011

Ken hasn't lived in the city as long as some of us have :-)

He's right about "grannies with clipboards" -- I've run into them in the
various DC neighborhoods I've lived in over the past 20+ years. If you
look closely, you'll note that they all seem to wear very expensive
running shoes and carry GPS's!

Sadly, cookies don't cut it, especially when it comes to RFI or serious
ugliness.

History in this city -- which  constantly repeats itself -- is that the
stealth antenna supports (i.e., roof towers) or towers and masts that
just peek over the roof line work (I've had big satellite arrays and HF
yagis on a roof tower for 15+ years). The neighborhood, too, makes a
difference. I'm surrounded by lots of returned/retired foreign service
officers, almost all of whom know about ham radio. My neighbors are
retired "Africa hands" who credit ham radio for being a lifesaver during
their tours in  lord-knows-where!

There are a lot of grandfathered and/or abandoned towers around town, be
they at (former) embassies, universities and colleges and other
unidentified sites. It's really expensive to take them down off of
buildings, and unless the landlord makes you, you simply walk away when
you vacate (been there, done that, too).

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC