[CQ-Contest] Comparative Review of Logging Programs; Skimmer and the RBN

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Jun 15 04:41:22 PDT 2011

At Contest University in Dayton this year, I gave a "class" on the three
most widely used contest logging programs - WriteLog, N1MM Logger, and
Win-Test.  I did this with some trepidation, because of my long
association with the N1MM Logger effort - I was concerned people would
assume I was biased.  For this reason, I tried first to identify the
most important aspects of any contest logger, and then discussed each
program separately in terms of those specific topics.  The authors of
the programs were given the opportunity beforehand to review and correct
the description of their programs, and all did so.

I have posted the review, as well as my CTU presentation on CW Skimmer
and the Reverse Beacon Network, at
<http://pvrc.org/n4zr/dayton_2011_presentations.htm>.  All are in .pdf
format.  If you find them useful, and/or if you have particular
comments, corrections and additions, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Please send your comments *direct* to n4zr at contesting.com - *don't post
them on the reflector* unless you really think a wider audience would
benefit.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com