[CQ-Contest] Is ARRL DX Really Broken ?

Doug Smith dougw9wi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:34:06 PDT 2011

Bill Parry wrote:
> I think this is a very interesting attitude. Most entrants know they have no
> chance of winning so they just fool around in the contest, leaving the
> propagationally (is that a word?) favored stations in the NE to compete. I
> honestly don't want to change the rules either, but come on, surely you can
> come up with a better argument than that!

I have GOT to stop posting so close to when I leave for work...

I don't think I emphasized highly enough the last sentence -- and the point -- of my post.

IMHO, leveling -- or not leveling -- the playing field will make little or no difference in contest participation.  The number of hams who will choose
not to participate, or to make a vastly smaller number of Q's, simply because they cannot win, is miniscule.  It won't (doesn't) significantly affect
how much fun the vast majority of us will have.

So there may or may not be justification for erasing geographic advantage somewhere else, but I don't think increasing activity is that justification.

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66