[CQ-Contest] Leveling the playing field

Wayne Mills n7ng at bresnan.net
Fri Jun 24 08:33:04 PDT 2011

For many of us, the format of a contest is far more important than the
levelness of the playing field. Granted that numerically, most contesters
are on the east coast (of course, the definition of east coast depends on
how far west you are). If you want to win or be competitive in most
so-called DX contests, you must do a DXpedition to an area that favors your
effort. If you can't run 94% of your Qs in Europe, where you can forget
about rotating most of your antennas away from Europe, the ARRL DX contest
is fun because of the value of the multipliers out here. The rarity of the
western multipliers makes it worth participating. After 55 years, I would
have absolutely no interest in ARRL DX in a distance format. For me, copying
the TBDC is second-rate, unworthy of ARRL. TBDC is great, but copying it is
bush league.

So-called DX contest? What's that? Something unique would be a real DX
contest. Most current so-called DX contests are running contests. There's
nothing wrong with running - some of my best friends do it. But for them, it
often doesn't matter whether they are working VU4s or WB4s, and generally
they don't care. Run run run. There are plenty of running contests. Go for
it.

Rather, let's - again -- have a real DX contest where the skill involved is
DXing; finding rare stations, breaking pileups. Today, that would be unique.
Although the ARRL DX started in 1927 as a combination relay and DX contest
(with pre-set exchanges, by the way), its format was DXing. It was two weeks
long (three weekends, I believe). Mults would count more. Running contest?
NOT.

ARRL has DXCC. It has the ARRL DX contest. ARRL should use its prestige to
be an innovator, not a follower.

73,

Wayne, N7NG
Jackson Hole