[CQ-Contest] Distance-based scoring...

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Sat Jun 25 19:45:48 PDT 2011

...does not really help many areas of North America, unless you¹re going to
allow W/VE to W/VE contacts.

There have literally been times when I¹ve turned on the radio during ARRL DX
only to turn it off again, since the only stations I could hear were
stations I couldn¹t work.

Even the best VE4 station is still going to only access certain layers of
DX. On bad years, we can be lucky to dig into the third layer of stations.
So even though, for example, W1 may get fewer points per QSO due to reduced
distance to Europe, because they¹ll be digging deeper into the layers of
signals, a higher QSO count is still going to give W1 an advantage.

We accept the current disadvantage VE4 has. As many have said, if we really
felt strongly about it, we could move. I¹m not arguing for a change to the
rules. But I would caution to be completely sure that proposed changes are
going to have the desired effect, as opposed to simply changing the rules
for change¹s sake.

No disrespect to NQ4I, but I¹d LOVE to have his problem!

73, kelly
ve4xt