[CQ-Contest] CW Skimmer via 3G Wireless on FD

Charlie Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Thu Jun 30 16:48:25 PDT 2011

On 6/29/2011 Paul O'Kane wrote:

...snip...

> And yes, they do work other stations using
> amateur-band RF.  But, it's a contest and
> how you find those stations matters.
...snip...

I personally don't use the skimmer, or even the cluster, even when the rules don't say I can't, but honestly, if you wanted to WIN the high jump, and the rules didn't say that you COULDN'T use a pole vaulting pole, you'd be stupid NOT to (Hint, the flop - the techniques used by everyone today, was once a 'you can't do that' thing

To quote the great race car designer Smokey Yunick

"You don't race cars, you race the rule book"

If you are really in something to win, you look for EVERY edge you can find that is within the rules.  Remember the winged keel on the Australian 10m yacht for the America's Cup?  People complained "It doesn't fit the spirt of the race" - Guess what, it raced, and won.  The next time around, we showed up with a Catamaran with a solid sail - again, someone said "Rules don't say you can't"

BTW - Smokey Yunick was famous for not only finding the holes, but also breaking the rules - a classic was with one car, they did a pre race tech inspection, and gave him a list of 10 things he had to change before the race.  During the inspection they had pulled his gas tank.  He started the car (no gas tank), and drove away, looked out the wind and said "11" - he had put a LARGE coil of fuel line in the car, and therefore the car had a few gallons of extra gas

--
73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)