[CQ-Contest] Throwing the Baby Out With the Bathwater

Jeffrey Embry jeffrey.embry at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 08:32:12 PDT 2011

Pete,

I totally agree.  I am/was planning a casual entry primarily for the
club competition.  I am/was palanning to do single band QRP.

However after reading the rules...inparticular this:

11.12 Participants of Low Power and QRP categories must clearly
identify equipment used, as well as antenna types by band, ASL and
above ground elevation, type and length of coax cable. Use the
comments/soapbox of your Cabrillo log.

I am not so sure that for a casual operation, it is even worth
submitting a log, or participating at all.

These rules certainly causes me to lose interest in this contest...and
to me serves nothing more that reducing participation.

As far as the elimination of cheating...I am all for it.  And there
will be those that slip through the cracks.  However, they will know
the 'true' value of their ill-gotten win or place in the contest.  It
really doesn't matter that much to me as a casual participant...so
long as I am having FUN!

73es

Jeff
K3OQ

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr at contesting.com> wrote:
> I'm afraid that the Russian DX Contest organizers are doing something
> else, Hans. Instead of focusing too heavily on "top contesters", they
> seem obsessed with trying to prevent all cheating in their contest, no
> matter how improbable.  They seemingly think that by rule-making they
> can achieve cheater-proofing, a dubious concept all in itself.
>
> The same motivation seems to be behind their badly-worded language on
> remote operation, which was a topic of some contention here a couple of
> weeks ago.  I've read it in two languages (English and French), and had
> a Russian-speaking friend translate the Russian text.  It and the
> English are both somewhat ambiguous, while the French goes on for
> several additional sentences and does, indeed, seem to preclude any
> remote-controlled operation, however legitimate.
>
> I wrote to the organizers right after this issue first came up,
> suggesting some language that seemed, to me, perfectly unambiguous.  So
> far, their only response is that my language looks fine, but they are
> worried that allowing *any* remote operation risks cheating.
>
> Strikes me as a perfect case of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater."
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR

> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
>

> On 3/16/2011 1:21 AM, kzerohb at gmail.com wrote:
>> Mike,
>>
>> Guys like you and I probably aren't ever going to be "top 3" players in a
>> Russian contest, but it's you and I and thousands of others who make "top 3"
>> possible.  I'm sick to death of sponsors who tune their rules to "the top
>> 3".
>>
>> 73, de Hans, K0HB/K7
>> "Just a boy and his radio"

Jeff Embry, K3OQ
FM19je
ARCI #11643, FPQRP #-696,
QRP-L # 67, NAQCC #25, ARS #1733
AMSAT LM-2263

--
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss
of enthusiasm.  - Sir Winston Churchill