[CQ-Contest] Headsets w/ mic's

rin JG1VGX jg1vgx at jarl.com
Tue Mar 29 17:38:08 PDT 2011

I bought Yamaha CM-500 recently and posted a negative comment on eham
review, mainly for its apparently weak construction.

However, I now admit it's ok for its price. It did good in a recent
SSB contest I tested and mine is not fallen apart yet ;) as I handle
it carefully. If you throw it around like toys in multiop settings,
well, I don't know.

It's mic gain is much less than a Heil for that I need a preamp. And
it needs to be phantom powered as it's got a condenser mic.

73 rin JG1VGX

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Maarten van Rossum
<pd2r.maarten at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I'm really happy with my Pro Set Plus from Heil but I do only SSB.
> I hear a lot of Elecraft guys have pretty good experience with Yamaha CM-500
> headsets. Don't how they will play with the FT 1000 but you should be able
> to make it work just fine.
> The price varies but you should be able to pick them up for a little over
> $40,-.
> See the eHam reviews: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7494
>
> Best 73,
>
> Maarten PD2R
>
> 2011/3/29 KU7Y <ku7y.cw at gmail.com>
>
>> What is a good, inexpensive headset?
>>
>> I don't do enough SSB to warrant spending the money to buy a good Heil.
>>  The
>> old Telex that I have has too many problems.... too heavy, hurts the ears
>> after wearing for a little while, the plug for the cable from the headset
>> the rig tries to fall out and etc.  I did have a Heil element that I put in
>> the mic so it sounds good.  But I would like to replace it.
>>
>> I need 2 ear pieces, do not need noise canceling as the shack is quiet.  It
>> will be used with my 1000MP and I might also make an adaptor to use it with
>> the FT100 while in Idaho also.
>>
>> Also wondering if anyone uses wireless headsets.....
>>
>> Any ideas are welcome.
>>
>> OK, back in my hole,
>>
>> Ron, KU7Y
>> SOWP 5545M