[CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network - Telnet Server Options for the Fall Contest Season

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Nov 4 06:39:17 PDT 2011

As some may be aware, since last spring the Reverse Beacon Network has
had two telnet servers active.  The first, at telnet.reversebeacon.net,
port 7000, uses DXSpider software and has been our workhorse.  With the
fantastic conditions this fall, we expact much heavier usage, and we'd
like to encourage users to spread their usage as much as possible, as a
way of making the RBN more fail-safe for everyone.

Our second RBN telnet server, at arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
uses AR Cluster Version 6 software running on a separate server.  This
cluster package has some unique filtering features that may appeal
particularly to RBN users.  These are outlined at
<http://www.ab5k.net/ArcDocsVer6%5CUserManual%5CArcDx.htm>, but here's
an example, the filter I use most of the time:

SET DX FILTER call=n4zr OR (SKIMMER AND UNIQUE>2)  and (spotterstate=md
OR spotterstate=pa OR spotterstate=va OR spotterstate=WV)

It's not case-sensitive, but the spaces and parentheses are important.
This filter sends spots of *me* through immediately, so I know I've been
spotted (they are displayed in the Info window of N1MM Logger), and then
applies a test to make sure a station has been heard by more than 2
skimmers, which sharply reduces busted spots due to QRM, RFI, etc.
Finally, each surviving spot is passed on to the last filter section,
which checks to see if it came from a Skimmer in one of the adjoining
states to my location.  Then, and only then, is the spot sent on to me.
As a result, spots appearing in Logger are virtually certain to be
correctly spotted, as well as audible in my location.

In addition to the AR Cluster server, a full menu of RBN spots is
available from K1TTT, along with traditional spots.  The RBN spots are
off by default but easily turned on.  VE7CC-1 is another node that
carries spots from many RBN contributors, and his excellent CC User
program offers many pre-filtering options.  I'm sure there are at least
a few more.

So, to emulate more than a few DXpeditions recently, "please spread 'em
out."

--
73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 AND now
at arcluster.reversebeacon.net port 7000