[CQ-Contest] SS CW Laughs

Art Boyars artboyars at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 10:41:49 PST 2011

Time to lighten up here a little.  You may read/send these two stories at
any speed you wish; you do NOT have to send your call; and Multi-Single
entrants may CQ on the second radio while reading.  Skimmers can try
reading every second or third word to get the gist.

1.  Regarding the "K5TQ" thread about somebody who kept calling CQ, but
never answering any callers -- a few years ago I heard that from some New
Englander on 80M; hour after hour, many callers, nobody getting thru.  The
Ultimate Alligator.  I e-mailed him after the 'Test.  He replied that he
had gone to sleep and forgotten to turn things off.  His logging program
was set for repeat CQs ... and the cat must have stepped on the keyboard.

2.  One of the neat things about SS is working all your old friends, many
of whom you have never even met.

I was so surprised not to hear W8CAR that I was worried that something had
happened to him.  I was glad to see his 3830 posting.  But how did I
completely miss somebody who made 799 QSOs??

Sunday afternoon, doing S&P, I passed over K0VBU a few times.  I had
already worked him.  A little later, he answered my CQ.  Even before I
typed his call I grabbed the paddles: "K0VBU QSO B4  CQ SS...."  He came
back again: "NOT IN MY LOG  PSE ..."  Oh, all right; it happens.  Type in
his call and reach for F2 ... and CT says "Needed Call"!!  After we
complete the QSO, I say "SRI  I MUST HV BEEN THINKING OF LAST YEAR"

3.  Sleep deprivation is highly overated.  A few times in the CQ mode,
autopilot copying from the headphones to the keyboard, I would start typing
in a NR and PREC ... only to realize that I was copying my own outgoing
report!  (I guess the SO2R guys don't have this problem.)

73, Art K3KU
Only 51 weeks 'til SS CW!