[CQ-Contest] First License

Martin Durham w1md at cfl.rr.com
Fri Nov 11 19:24:00 PST 2011

I was 15 years old.  January 13, 1980.  My mom called from work to say she had picked up an envelope from the FCC at the post office...I said open it!  I guess my first QSO as KA1EEF was technically illegal since my mom had the paper three miles from home. :))

Worked WD0CEP on 15m for my first qso.  Will never forget as my radio shack straight key fell apart and had to finish with the shorting bar...first DX was G3AWR about two weeks later on 15m.

Some things you just never forget. Still have all my paper logs from that first qso on..

Good memories.

W1MD

Martin Durham
System Engineer, Harris corp.