[CQ-Contest] The Calling Disease... (split operation)

Collins, Graham CollinG at navcanada.ca
Mon Nov 28 10:41:19 PST 2011

This was the first time I encountered split operation in a contest. In fact I stumbled across at least three different split operations. I didn't manage to get my pip squeak signal heard in any of the ensuing mass of signals.

To be fair, the three operations I heard where high up from the bottom edge of the band well away from the usual masses.

However, many callers did not hear the ops tell the callers "up 1" (or whatever) and persisted in calling on the stations frequency at times covering up who was working split and where to call. It also seemed that the stations working split didn't specify "up 1" often enough, certainly not every time they id'ed. I got caught with one of the split operations; it took over 5 minutes of listening before I heard the station send "up 1" and another couple of minutes finally hear their call through the many calling stations.

All in all these split ops seemed to cause an interesting mess and I am sure a lot of frustrated callers.

Just imagine the mess if there where half a dozen BIG and loud contest stations working split "up 2" - it would cover 20+ Khz of band making it almost useless for anyone else.

If there was call for votes or a poll I think I would tend to discourage split operations in a contest.

Cheers, Graham ve3gtc