[CQ-Contest] Headphones for CW

Lew Paceley lew at paceley.com
Wed Nov 30 13:55:01 PST 2011

Hi Graham,
I use the Sony V6 headphones (predecessor to the 7506?) with all my radios.
 They have very low distortion and are quite comfortable on my head.  They
are not the "soundproof" fitting of PRO4AAs or the like but do block some
outside noise.  I can wear them for 8 -10 hours at a stretch.

I also own the Yamaha CM500s which sound good but are sonically a notch
below the V6s for my ears.  The Yamaha CM500s fit my fat head tightly and
start to become painful after 4 hours or so.   I only use them on my
computer for VoIP applications.  The boom mike on the CM500s sounds good to
my ears.  Another plus is that the CM500 has a nice long cable and separate
plugs for the mic and headset.

For high fidelity sound with significant isolation sans DSP processing I
like the Etymotic ER4 in-ear monitors.  You do need to choose the right
earpiece pad to get the best comfort and sound.  I use the Etymotics when I
am traveling by plane.

Good luck!

                       72,
                     *Lew*