[CQ-Contest] Accuracy of VY2TT CQWW CW 2010 Log Checking Report

Barry w2up at comcast.net
Sat Oct 8 06:04:42 PDT 2011

I once went back and listened to my recorded CQWW CW QSOs to hear the
dinged QSOs again.  For the most part, the removed calls were done
correctly.  There were a few instances where the other station sent his
own call incorrectly (!) and a few that were removed as busted for no
apparent reason, at least from what transpired over the air - even a few
for which I received QSLs.

Barry W2UP

On 10/7/2011 1:53 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
> Interesting comments Ken.  I am not sure I would up for the task of
> going back and listening to it again.  HI!
>
> Mike W0MU
>
> J6/W0MU November 21 - December 1 2011 CQ WW DX CW
> W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net
>

> On 10/7/2011 12:31 PM, Ken Widelitz wrote:
>> I've just completed listening to my recording of the errors in my log
>> flagged by the CQWW CW 2010 Log Checking Report. My conclusion is the LCR
>> software and reviewers do a great job.
>>

>> Not surprisingly, of the 92 errors flagged as bad calls, only one was
>> actually copied correctly. I had K4BX in my log. The LCR said the correct
>> call was K2AX. K4BX didn't submit a log. K2AX had me in his log with a 2
>> minute difference. I didn't have K2AX in my log on that band. I don't see
>> any way to avoid that type of bad flag.
>>

>> I asked for a fill on 7 of those bad calls, and still got it wrong. 15 times
>> the other station corrected me, but I didn't correct my log and still got it
>> wrong. What I found surprising was the number of stations that didn't bother
>> to correct me.
>>

>> Many of the busted calls were on S / H, D / B and U / V characters. Now if
>> only I can improve on those pairs. Only one was an obvious typo with 4
>> characters in the suffix
>>

>> Of the 25 NILs, 13 sounded like good QSOs on the recording. A few of those
>> NILs even confirmed a 2nd time. No idea how to avoid those. Of the
>> remaining, most were NILs because I hit the TU VY2TT key too fast and the
>> QSO partner didn't hear me confirm. I know I'm twitchy on the TU key and
>> have to be slow it down.  On just one of the NILs did I log the call when
>> there was clearly no QSO. I had a real lid moment on the 2nd radio and
>> started CQing after calling a station that didn't come back to me.
>>

>> What I did find surprising was of the 28 uniques, 14 were actually good
>> calls. I've always thought about 90% of uniques are copy errors that can't
>> be confirmed as errors.
>>

>> Percentagewise, not surprisingly, Sunday late afternoon and evening had more
>> errors and lid moments.
>>

>> Nothing like listening to all your lid moments to put a dent in the ego.
>>

>> 73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT

Barry Kutner, W2UP             Lakewood, CO