[CQ-Contest] How blatant can you get?

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sat Oct 15 07:09:24 PDT 2011

> Matts, with 59 plus 60 signal no one can sound perfect. Most modern radio
> have only 30-35 db of IMD on TX. "Linear amps" often make it even worse.
> If
> I were on the CC I would allow any power as long as the occupied bandwidth
> is the same as that of a QRP station.

Igor,

I'm not sure it will do much good to apply common sense or careful thought
to solving problems.

Here are other thoughts:

How many people know how to measure real power? I bet most people think
power is what the forward power is.  When was the last factual educational
article on this?

How many people know what their meter tolerance really is? When was the last
factual educational article on this?

If someone is 60 over nine, people should learn to use attenuators. That is
a problem with not using proper receiver sensitivity. Almost anyone would
have a noise floor of S7 or more from too much sensitivity in the receiver,
and perhaps higher.

Let's say someone is 60 over nine, and others are 30 over nine. Does anyone
think it likely they are running 1000 times the common power of 1-2 kW? If
someone is running common CB radio USA power of 15 kW, then a 1500 watt
station would be 50 over nine. Why would anyone do that? It makes no
difference.

3 dB or even 10 dB makes no difference to anyone except at low power, or
when signals are weak. And it makes no difference at all unless they can
hear what answers them.  If people want to be stupid and run 6 dB or 10 dB
more, there is no way to prevent that.

What can easily be proven and prevented are excessively wide signals.

73 Tom