[CQ-Contest] Multiple direction antennas on one radio...why?

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Thu Oct 20 09:12:25 PDT 2011

	I've been doing this with my 10m 3-stack since installing it in
1999.  When the band is open to EU (local mornings), my bottom 2 are
usually on EU and the top is SE for Caribbean, SA and long path Far
East.  Using a Stackmatch, 1 kW is on the 2 antennas and 500 W is on
the 3rd.  In local evenings, I usually have the top 2 on JA and the
bottom on S. Pacific or sometimes SA.  I usually try to keep the two
sets orthogonal so strange things don't happen, although sometimes an
odd combination will help with very weak backscatter (e.g. Caribbean).

	It can also be effective to TX on 3 with one in the rear direction
and on RX switch to 2 in the desired direction.  This makes my
presence known to some local USA who may otherwise be deaf to me.  ;-)

					73,  Bill  W4ZV