[CQ-Contest] Multiple direction antennas on one radio...why?

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Oct 20 10:25:11 PDT 2011

Hi, Tom.

I have no first hand knowledge of such a setup, but these were my
thoughts after watching the ZX5J video.

I assume that having antennas simultaneously pointed in four directions
means that they have transmit gain in all four directions, although that
would suffer a bit if you have all four amps cranked back to 1/4 legal
power.  I suspect it would be awkward to readjust all amps for those
times when propagation is clearly dead for one or more of those
directions, assuming they couldn't afford to waste transmit power.

Having four antennas simultaneously pointed in four directions
sacrifices the S/N you would otherwise have with just one antenna, but I
assume that it does give you the ability to at least hear callers that
would otherwise be off the back or side of a single yagi without having
to switch antennas to do so.

I think can understand simultaneously using more than one antenna.
What I cannot understand, assuming total power output meets all rules,
is how using multiple amplifiers simultaneously to do so is not
considerably more expensive, slower, and operationally awkward than
simply feeding a single amplifier into a high power splitter as is
commonly done with stacks or 4-squares.

It is entirely possible, though, that one or more of my assumptions is
invalid.

73,
Dave   AB7E