[CQ-Contest] Cheating - Big Amps

e73m at e73m.com e73m at e73m.com
Tue Sep 6 11:48:26 PDT 2011

Hi Tom,

I know you are technical guru and I really value and thank you for
explanation about linear amplifiers.

Well, it is true that my Alpha 8100 was hotter with 750W out as
initially we started RTTY contest in 2008. I was intigued and took user
guide to look something about proper tuning etc. Then I found this in
alpha user guide and drove it to 1500W and all was OK for the rest of
the contest.

Here is what Alpha 8100 manual says.

"If you tune the amplifier for maximum power output and then decide to
operate the 8100
at a power output much different from 1.5 kW, it must be re-tuned for
efficient and RF-clean
operation. Under such “lightly loaded” conditions, the green grid LED
will probably be fully lit.
Note that if you tune the amplifier at 1,500 watts and then simply
reduce power to 1,000 watts,
the tubes are actually going to run hotter than at 1,500 watts. It is
better to tune the amplifier
with close to 50 watts of power, but reduce the loading control to get
1,000 watts."

I guess we had to read the manual first :)

Again, thanks for correcting me about some technical details regarding
clean signals.

73 Danny E73M