[CQ-Contest] 100 Watt power limit for Sprints-Discuss

Tom Osborne w7why at frontier.com
Tue Sep 20 12:44:24 PDT 2011

Hi Dennis

Yes, it would assuming everybody else is running 1500 watts.  Your 700 watts
is ~3dB down from the max power (assuming they were running the same
antenna).

If everybody was running 100 watts, you would probably still be 3 dB down
from everybody running 100 watts if you were running low power, but, there
would be a lot less QRM and crappy signals, and they would probably hear you
even better.  It only takes 3 or 4 really bad signals to just about wipe out
the whole band on SSB.

One thing I've never heard is a QRP guy complaing about others running high
power.  They just hang in there and go.  I'd like to see it go to 100 watts.
IMHO.

>I agree with Jeff.  Living in a gated community, it is impossible for me to
put up a tower or beams and with the tallest trees in my yard being only 40'
high, I will never have a signal big enough to compete with those with large
gain antennas.  Running 600-700 watts to a doublet antenna gives me a bit of
a chance to be heard that I would not if I only started with 100 watts.
Leave the rules as they are for Sprints and think about adding a HP category
for NAQP.
73,
Dennis, K2SX