[CQ-Contest] Rotatable Guy Ring for portable/DX pedition mast

Phillip zl2tze at yahoo.com.au
Tue Sep 20 21:58:54 PDT 2011

Hi Mike

I did my rotatable slip rings on the cheap they lasted 9
Years before the high winds dealt to my pole..

It depend on how much money you want to spend . this is how I did my 50 MM
water pipe but mine was a 6.5 mtr length on top of a 6 mtr
wind mill tower.. On top of that was a Hornet TB 750 Tri-bander !!!

I cut 1 mtr of the length and threaded both then used a socket to rejoin
them I the got a 50mm flange end took to it with a lathe
so that it fitted over the 50mm pipe the socket 1 mtr down stopped it
sliding down the pipe .

I did a similar thing at 3 mtrs up but I didn't cut the pipe I lathed out a
second flange and portioned this at 3 mtrs and then welded it there
in place as a stop , I then used ( I think a 70mm socket that I welded 3
eyes to it for the 1/4 wire rope ) slid that down on top of the welded
flange and this was my second bearing ,,

I think the whole lot cost me about 30 NZ dollars back then for the Sockets
and Flanges .

Hope this helps

73 Phillip
ZL2TZE