[CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED -- was: =>RE: Chea

w5ov at w5ov.com w5ov at w5ov.com
Tue Sep 27 16:40:03 PDT 2011

KQ2M Wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> I know that what you were responding to was not the questions that I am
about to ask, so let's take the situations below and please tell me
whether or not you would consider them single op. assisted or single op
unassisted.

> 1st situation:
Op A is in the SOABHP category.  He is planning to enter as Unassisted.
During the contest an antenna fails as does one of his amps.  If he takes
time off to fix them, he will lose valuable q's and mults, while he is
fixing his antenna and amp - which he needs to be competitive in his
category. if he fixes them himself, he is clearly Unassisted (assuming he
does nothing else to put him in the Assisted category).

> But what happens if someone, OP B, comes over to help OP A, while OP A is
operating and fixes the antenna and amp, while OP A continues to operate,
so that OP A never has to stop operating.  Would OP A still be considered
to be Unassisted, even though he clearly received assistance from OP B
during the contest?

He is unassisted. Why? Because Op B did not locate or identify any
callsigns that end up in the log of Op A. If Op B did, they would actually
be a multi-op, so the assisted question is moot. All that other stuff
(antenna work or amplifier repair) doesn't matter.

This is the same like how some operators actually pay money to have their
antenna work done while others do it all themselves. Antenna work is
clearly not part of the assisted/non-assisted single op determination
process.

> 2nd situation:
>
> Op A is tired before the contest and decides to tape record everything
and write it down after the contest, rather than keep a computer log
during the contest. No other person helped him with the tape recording
or transcription functions before or after the contest. Is this allowed
in the SO Unasisted category?

Short answer: No.

Explanation: This is a trick question because transcribing the contest
after the contest is not allowed in any category. The logging must be done
during the contest period - the contest ends at 23:59z. If he can
transcribe 48 hours of a contest before that contest ends, fine. But, to
do what you suggest would extend the contest period past the 48 hours.
This has been tried in the past and it is not OK to do so. It also has
nothing to do with being assisted.

> Would the answer be any different if the transcription from tape to
> computer log took place during the contest as opposed to after the
contest is over?

Yes and it would be OK if completed by 23:59z as I said above.

> Would the answer be different if another person performed the
> transcription from tape to computer log before or after the contest?

Yes, the answer would be different, but in this situation, it would be
multi-op if done before 23:59z, and not permitted after the contest.

> I'm really interested in the answers to these questions.  I don't recall
> seeing them asked and answered on the reflector before.  Tnx & 73
>
> Bob
>
> Bob Shohet, KQ2M

I hope these answers help.

73,