[CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contests

Radio K0HB kzerohb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 16:11:19 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Paul O'Kane <pokane at ei5di.com> wrote:

> On 11/04/2012 16:45, Radio K0HB wrote:
>
> > As long as the station transmitters and receivers and antennae are all
> > contained on the same premise (as specified by the sponsor), who cares
> > how long the mic and speaker cables are?
>

> Hans has provided an excellent example of a leading question.

Thank you.  I strive for excellence.

> Not to worry. The length of the mic and speaker cables
> is irrelevant, once it exceeds the usual limit (1km
> diameter) for contest stations.  Remote control is not
> the same as having long control and signal cables -
> that's why it's called remote control.

No that's not why it's called remote control.  It is called remote
control because the control operator is not co-located with the
radio(s).

Prior to the internet (and probably still) it was possible to have
remote control of a radio station with a dedicated wire control
channel leased from your PTT.  Many USA repeater stations were
remotely controlled by exactly such an arrangement. FCC rules required
such remote control, but did not specify a wire connection, leaving
the technology to the discretion of the repeater operator.

As you say, the LENGTH of the control and signal cables is irrelevant.
 I submit that the technology used to provide those "cables" is also
irrelevant.

> Secondly, to answer the leading question directly, the
> RSGB, organiser of the IOTA Contest, cares.  I quote
>
>   All equipment (transmitters, receivers and antennas)
>   PLUS ALL OPERATORS (my caps) must be located within
>   a 1km diameter circle or within the property limits
>   of the station licensee’s address, whichever is the
>   greater.
>
> http://www.rsgbcc.org/hf/rules/2012/riota.shtml
>
> The phrase "plus all operators" was added a few years
> ago to prevent abuse of the rules and the spirit of
> the IOTA contest by remote-controlled entrants.  Other
> contests will surely follow.

I suspect that not all (if any) other contests "will surely follow".
Amateur radio (at least here in the USA) is directly tasked with
"advancing the state of the radio art".  Contests which allow and
encourage advanced methods will surely thrive, and those who do not
embrace advancements will wither in their stagnation.

73, de Hans, K0HB/W7
"Just a boy and his radio"
--
Sea stories at --------> http://k0hb.wordpress.com