[CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contests

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Mon Apr 16 08:03:44 PDT 2012

Per the ARRL Rules in Contests:

3.3.An operator may not use more than one call sign from any given
location during the contest period.

(I am not sure how the ARRL defines location.  My lot?  My home station
location, my separate shack location...)

3.5.A transmitter used to contact one or more stations may not be
subsequently used under any other call during the contest period, except
for family stations where more than one call has been issued, and then
only if the second call sign is used by a different operator. (The
intent of this rule is to accommodate family members who must share a
rig and to prohibit manufactured or artificial contacts.)

I have heard of people simply changing out the rig and using another
call.  From the rules this would not be allowed.

For DXCC you can work DX from anywhere in the same country and it
counts.  For USA stations that means you can work stations from your
home, mobile or portable, friends house etc as long as you are in the
USA and there is no problem.

The issue that was brought up was apparently some of the multiop
operators worked the DX with the Multi call and then subsequently with
their own home calls using the same equipment.  Which would be a against
the ARRL CONTEST rules, but not against the DXCC rules.  I believe this
rule was put in place to stop the padding of logs with contacts.

Under the General rules over 50mhz

1.3.A transmitter, receiver, or antenna used to contact one or more
stations may not subsequently be used under any other call during the
contest period, except as provided for in General Rules for All ARRL
Contests number 3.5.

I am not sure how all this is looked at by the ARRL or CQ contest
committees.

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net