[CQ-Contest] DC and NAQP

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Fri Aug 10 19:25:12 PDT 2012

If DC is not a state, does it count as Maryland for multiplier purposes? It
 is not a part of Maryland for the US political organization purposes you
listed.  (It is part of the MDC ARRL section for contests where sections
are multipliers, like the Maritime Section in Canada which covers three
Canadian  provinces).

It would seem to follow that it should not count for any multiplier, but I
don't think that has been the rule (even if this is a hypothetical question
 that has probably never come up in real life, where somebody has worked DC
but  not Maryland).

Why would one want DC to be a multiplier? Having spent a bit of time around
 DC while my daughter was living in nearby VA, there are places in DC that
seemed  very suitable for at least a daylight dipole-in-a-tree type of
setup. In  particular I remember a rather quiet park right across the Potomac
River from  Reagan airport. Being a rare multiplier in a contest is fun, and DC
is one  of the few such places within a reasonable distance from much of
the country.

73    -   Jim  K8MR

(Who once made about 20 qsos from DC in the 10 meter contest as  W3USA/M)

In a message dated 8/10/2012 9:57:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
geoiii at kkn.net writes:

On Fri,  Aug 10, 2012 at 08:59:28PM -0400, Jeffrey Embry wrote:

> If this is  indeed the case, then perhaps Virginia, Massachusetts,
Kentucky,
> and  Pennsylvania, while politically different are technically
Commonwealths
> and not States.

Whatever.

I think they are  states.

Let me see

US States have two senators each in the  congress:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm/

Choose  a State...... Those states are all listed.

> While I  will admit that DC is not a state,

Ok - it is not a state.  That  is the reason it is not a mult
in the NAQP - and that was K9NW's  question.

> but Constitutionally a 'Federal
> City' is  is a separate political entity.  Personally, I can see no reason
>  why DC should not be its own mult.  But, one wants to play semantics
with
> words and definitions, then remove the Commonwealths as  multipliers.

I am not playing word games - as you said DC is not a  state.

By the current rules when DC becomes a US State it will become a  mult
in the NAQP.  I would start working on statehood.

But  if the real question is something like:

"Why can't DC be made a mult  for the NAQP?"

Then your arrguement that it is a "separate political  entity" would be
a good place to start as to why it should be a  mult.

My question to everyone that wants to make DC a mult in any  contest is:

Why do you want DC to be a mult?

--
George  Fremin III -  K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net