[CQ-Contest] KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012

Randy Thompson K5ZD k5zd at charter.net
Sat Aug 18 10:30:18 EDT 2012

I realize I am behind the curve on this, but it is a subject of particular interest for contest administrators.

The ARRL addresses the question of callsign use by others on their web site.
http://www.arrl.org/regulatory-faqs

They use Field Day as an example and it seems pretty clear that operating outside your privileges using another call is permitted -- as long as there is a control operator.

The FCC does not fully define what level of presence/control the control operator must have. Only that the control operator shares equal (more?) responsibility for operation of the station with the operator.

The ARRL FAQ makes reference to the issue of the callsign holder not being present, but is silent on what constitutes control.  This lack of definition regarding control is important as it would be unlikely that the control operator would be present and vigilant for the full contest period by a single operator station.

The contest rules definition of single operator is usually based on one person doing all operating and logging functions.  It could be argued that the control operator is not participating in the operating or logging, but only "observing" that the on air operator is not violating any rules.

If the ARRL rules only required following the FCC rules, then there would have been no reason for disqualification.  However, the ARRL rules include the clause, "All operators must observe the limitations of their operator licenses and station licenses at all times." This gives ARRL the latitude to conclude that a single operator entry must operate within the restriction of the operator's license. To do otherwise, the ARRL is claiming that the control operator does count as a participant of the operation and therefore the operation should be submitted as a multi-op.

Most other DX contest rules do not have this clause.  Assuming this precedent is carried forward, anyone operating an ARRL contest should take note of their entry category when operating outside their license privileges.

Randy, K5ZD