[CQ-Contest] Split operation in CQ WW CW

Martin , LU5DX lu5dx at lucg.com.ar
Mon Aug 27 16:58:34 EDT 2012

Hi Hans.
Problem is... An amateur radio contests, are a massive concentration of
lids in a pretty short period of time.

Though there are codes of conduct that apply. It remains one of the most
cahotic and anarchic ways of competition from end to end.

It is not like a DXpedition. DXpeditions are active for five, seven, ten or
fourteen days, resulting in what seems to be a lower LCF (Lids
concentration factor) than during contests. But since the LCF is measured
in Lids per Kilocycle effectively used during a given period of time,
throughout 2012, there have been DXpeditions producing LCFs even higher
than the best of contests altogether. The closer you get to the dxcc most
wanted list the higher the LCF produced by a DXpedition is.

Some contests tend to have an LCF higher than others. It depends on whether
it is SSB, CW or RTTY, World Wide or Continental.

The only contests with a very low LCF to my knowedge - there may be
others- are: NA Sprint (CW/SSB/RTTY), The Stew Perry Top Band Challenge and
probably the CQ and ARRL 160 M contests. The sprints because of his own
beauty and nature (QSO/QSY) and Top band mostly because it is a place where
the vast majority of lids can't do any harm. Only those who have achieved a
considerable ammount of technical and operational knowledge can succed
there.

The rest is CHAOS! At least, that seems to be the tendency. In other
words, if you need to work them fast, you have to spread them all over the
spectrum ;-)

This, in fact, is all done to help keep the sanity of the ham HF radio
spectrum.

Otherwise, Lids will start over-loading  their amps when they see it's
taking longer than usual to work the mult and they will end up using
even more bandwidth -than if they were working split-, because of the
distorted modulation.

In the end, it all depends on the money you have (the rigs, amps and
antennas you can afford) and how much of an HF Spectrum Maffia capo you are
when it comes fighting with others for a frequency or to be heard in a pile
up.

I guess the LCF can be lowered to a decent degree in the years to come
using SDR recordings. Or proabaly it will just be another optimistic
utopia, considering we are talking about enforcing the behavior of
thousands of people at the same time spreaded across thousands of possible
frequencies.

Vy 73.

Martin, LU5DX