[CQ-Contest] Split operation in CQ WW CW

Tõnno Vähk tonno.vahk at gafm.ee
Wed Aug 29 06:12:54 EDT 2012

I am a bit amazed on the how the main advantage of split operation is
being neglected here.

It is NOT for the DX to be able to manage his huge pile up better. This
can surely be done simplex (like K4BAI writes) or semi-simplex picking up
guys a few hundred hertz up or down provided the DX is strong enough and
can control the pile up.

The main purpose is to actually make DX QSOs possible at all especially on
low bands where the DX is marginal and is immediately covered by pile up
when it becomes noticed. Working a Pacific or African station from EU on
80 or 160 meters during CQWW is often impossible without split because
there are always stations calling on top of DX and no chance to make any
Qs or one will take 10 minutes. We have seen countless of times during the
contest the DX just giving up without a single QSO unless he is smart
enough to go split which is always welcomed by the callers.

So it has nothing to do with DX being selfish, Clive! Opposite to that. It
is essential for the sake of callers to enable those marginal QSOs to take
place.

Secondly, I feel that most people fail to realize that 1 DX + 20 callers
are absolutely entitled to have more spectrum than one big gun calling CQ
without answers. Come on guys and think. It is at least fair for this DX
running split and with 20 callers to occupy 2 channels. It is 21 stations
on 2 channels versus 1 station on 1 channel. The argument that he should
not occupy the space it really needs is simply ridiculous.

Thirdly, stop whining about space in CW contest. There are always tens or
even hunders of free KHz's. Move up 50 KHz and you are in the clear. There
is no reason to try to fit inside the first 30. Some exceptions are there
of course like JA window on 160m, etc. And that is what I am saying about
sensible and considerate split operation. DX should of course not announce
1810-1825 as his RX window. But that of course is a general expectance
form any contester that he is rational and considerate and split operation
is no different from any other operating practice. And any DX announcing
simply UP in contest is simply stupid because he will not be able to
identify stations calling him in the mess.

I am sorry to see such blunder in the CQ Magazine and of course no one
will ever make a rule against split operation or prohibiting N6TJ to sign
with his call rather than TU. There are muplitple much much more important
issues to be dealt with regarding CQWW rules and management and hopefully
they will be dealt with rahter sooner than later.

73
ES5TV