[CQ-Contest] Skimmer spots

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Feb 5 05:01:25 PST 2012

Tom, both VE7CC clusters and ARClusterV6 (such as K1TTT.NET) have a
user-controlled filter for turning Skimmer spots off at will.  Us RBN
types do not approve of any cluster operators mixing Skimmer spots into
their output without such a filter.  If you'll tell me which node you
are seeing this on, I will contact the operator.

Another approach is to run a filter on the node you're connected to.  On
ARCluster V6, I run one that passes only Skimmer spots from my immediate
geographic area, and also requires that a spot be validated by at least
3 Skimmers worldwide (as a means of reducing busted spots).  That
reduces the number of spots beautifully and ensures I will be able to
hear most of the spots that do get through.  It routinely enables me to
pounce on a new station on the band before he finishes his first or
second CQ.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000