[CQ-Contest] 20 meters in contest tonight

John Geiger aa5jg at fidmail.com
Sat Feb 18 22:05:25 PST 2012

Interesting propagation in the ARRL DX contest tonight.  I was surprised to find 20 open nicely tonight to Japan and Siberia around 10:30pm locally.  Made quite a few QSOs to those areas.  However, I also noticed a few stations coming in from the Carribean area (PJ2T and PJ4X) and a couple of 4 land stations coming thru rather weakly with raspy signals.

What might lead to the raspy type signals?  Backscatter?  Some sort of long path?  That seems like too long of a distance for backscatter.  Anyone else notice this?

73s John AA5JG