[CQ-Contest] Skimmer had finally arrived

Edward Sawyer SawyerEd at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 20 04:08:44 PST 2012

For the first time, I can say, that skimmer is finally making a noticeable
impact out there.  As likely the most active Vermont station out there this
weekend, I was a needed "mult" for most.  I noticed that when I started
CQing on 80M or even 160 the first night.  Within 1 minute I would often get
called by a handful of stations, many M/M usually all at the same time.  I
checked this morning, and as I suspected, I wasn't spotted on the cluster
that quickly.  Interestingly, this was not 100 stations it was no more than
half a dozen from a region (15M to JA had the same affect).  I noticed a
couple of SA and EU stations were always in the first group on 3 different
bands where it occurred.

Clearly skimmer is having an impact.  I found it interesting that it was
quick and efficient but not overwhelmingly numerous, yet.  If there are
hundreds of skimmer enabled "quick find and hit" stations out there, most
are not doing too well with it yet.  I ran a few times on 80M.  The quick
hit group was gone in less than 2 mins usually.  Then you would settle in to
a "normal run".  Periodically a spot might happen and you get the uptick.
But if hundreds were employing this technique, you would know it.  They
aren't.  Not from what I see.  At least not in Europe, where the VT mult on
80M was a wanted commodity.  And it isn't not being heard, because I would
then knock off 50 or more stations from around the region with no problem.

I am sure there are A LOT more people using skimmer populating the band map
than what I am describing above.  But the "quick hit" group appears small
yet.  Next year I expect it will increase significantly.

Ed  N1UR