[CQ-Contest] Skimmer had finally arrived

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Mon Feb 20 13:19:04 PST 2012

Pete,
I don't know if it was because of Skimmer spots, or increased use of Packet, or what...
But I did observe, especially on Sunday, that if there was a decent pileup on a station, especially if we saw the call on the cluster within the last 10-15 minutes, that if I simply set my XIT a touch high, and I do mean just a touch, we broke the pileup most of the time in 2 - 3 calls. And I know from the calls I recognized that many of those calling were running power and/or beams, not 100 W barefoot to a vertical like we were.
So in light of what you said, it seems like that a slight offset can make a huge difference.
73, ron w3wn