[CQ-Contest] EDZ

Milt -- N5IA n5ia at zia-connection.com
Thu Jan 19 07:09:59 PST 2012

Carol,

A true EDZ with 0.625 WL legs and 0.125 WL balanced line feed will present a
~ 50 to 75 Ohm feed point impedance, depending on whether it is installed
with the legs inline or drooping as in an "inverted vee"..

Simply slip a few ferrite beads over the end of your 50 Ohm coax to create
your own 1:1 choke balun, and connect it to the end of the balanced line.

You will NOT need a 4:1 balun, NOR a tuner, for the single band for which
the antenna was constructed.  The bandwidth will be somewhat narrower than a
dipole but a near perfect match at the resonant frequency.

This construction makes a great bi-directional antenna if installed
horizontally and a superb omni-directional antenna if installed vertically.

I have made, installed and used EDZs from 70 CM (440 MHz installed
vertically) to 160 Meters (installed horizontally with the apex at 250'
AGL).  All of them have performed excellently.  YMMV.

73 and good luck de Milt, N5IA