[CQ-Contest] 500 Watt Amp or 1500 Watt Amp

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Sun Jul 15 20:01:49 PDT 2012

This is a really good question. Hopefully you will get a stream of
opinions for consideration.

Here's my thoughts.

"Does the extra 1000 watts made a difference?" Yes. With everything else
equal, an extra 1-kW will give you 4.8 dB more signal strength. Your
signal will stand out from the others, with some exceptions. You're
still at a disadvantage against a station in a better propagation zone
or that has bigger, better, or more antennas to choose from.

"As compared to making quick band changes?" Depends on your operating
style. If you are prefer to RUN stations and let the multipliers come to
you, quick band changes is not a strong need. If you prefer to chase and
work multipliers from band to band, an auto-tuned amplifier will give
you a decisive advantage. If you're a S&Per, then you'll also want
auto-antenna selection integrated into your station as well.

I have run contests as low, medium, and high power using a variety of
amplifiers (and barefoot, of course). I enjoy the challenge of S&P,
jumping to new multipliers and seeing how quickly I can get them in the
log. If I am running 1.5 kW, it's pretty quick. When I run 300 Watts, I
move out of the top tier of callers and have to wait a little longer.
When I'm running low power and I am not "johnny on the spot", I might
have to call 3 or 4 times... and if it takes any longer, I'll mark the
frequency and come back later when the first two tiers of stations have
made their contact and moved on.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN