[CQ-Contest] CQ Update

Bob Naumann W5OV at W5OV.COM
Mon Jul 23 04:50:31 PDT 2012

Simply: It's not a "reward".

It's a matter of the contest sponsor taking the least painful route to get
as many properly formatted logs as possible into the system in order to do
as comprehensive and as accurate a log checking process as possible.

Most of the poorly formatted logs are not the winners. It's the hundreds of
small logs that are easier to manually analyze and just fix rather than
trying to get the entrant to fix them.

While we could just discard all the improperly formatted logs, that would
result in a less accurate and less complete log checking process. Making the
log checking process more accurate is the objective - it is not to reward
the entrants who cannot manage to submit their log file properly. Most of
those who submitted a poorly formatted log don't even know they've done so
and they don't know that we've done the work to fix them. The other entrants
benefit by having their logs checked more accurately - not those who
submitted a poorly formatted log.

Yes, some logs are so badly constructed or lacking of complete information,
that we are forced to flag them as not usable and this is not what we want.
Usually, in these cases, we try to get the entrant to resubmit a complete
and proper log but many times they don't respond to requests or they report
that the computer has failed that the log was on etc.

73,

Bob W5OV
CQWW Committee Log File Fixer