[CQ-Contest] WPX and LOTW

Bill Parry bparry at rgv.rr.com
Tue Jul 24 14:51:01 PDT 2012

The original subject of this thread was actually regarding the cost of using the LOTW confirmations for WPX. Somehow it has morphed into a criticism of the sorters of the QSL bureau. Frankly I am not sure how that has happened but as a response I would like to point out that I have never heard a sorter complain about doing this "FREE SERVICE" for us.  I use both the outgoing and incoming bureau frequently and it saves me tons of money, particularly since sending a card to EU costs more than $1 these days. The bureau is one of the best things the ARRL does for us.

Frankly my suggestion for anyone that doesn't like the ARRL QSL bureau (incoming or outgoing) service is to simply not use it. The ARRL could not increase revenue by hiring more volunteer incoming sorters because the service is free!

I suspect that the decrease in incoming QSLs has a lot to do with LOTW which is also a wonderful service and is also free until you decide to use the cards for an award. I just passed a milestone of 18,000 LOTW confirmations.  Can you imagine what the postage for all those cards would have been?!

Bill W5VX