[CQ-Contest] Aniother rules/remote RX issue

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 18:42:56 PDT 2012

> So what? It's still one operator doing everything. Whether he does it
> with 1, 2, or 20 radios, it's he alone without any assistance or outside
> information.

"Come into my trap", said the spider to the fly. :-)

You're absolutely correct, Bob. And by that same logic, a local CW Skimmer
is legal for Single Op. One operator is doing everything, and he's alone
without any assistance or outside information. Those are your criteria for
Single Op.

If you're going object by saying that CW Skimmer provides "assistance",
you're going to have to disallow all computerized "assistance", including
logging, SCP, CW decoding, etc., all of which have been legal and accepted
for decades, as well as band scopes. You might have to disallow SDR-based
radios, too, because the computer in the radio provides "assistance" like
brick-wall DSP filtering. It seems to me that one could make the argument
that virtually any given technological advance in the station is
"assistance". I use a computer logging program to switch between my two
radios and I wrote a very sophisticated computer program, AntennaMaster, to
automatically switch my antennas, turn my rotors, tune my SteppIRs and tune
my Acom amp. Those programs allow me to switch the configuration much more
quickly than if I had to do it the way it has traditionally been done, which
is by using manual switches. Is that "assistance"? Heck, are the little
CPU-based controllers that dynamically adjust the element lengths of my
SteppIRs giving me "assistance"?

It's one thing to associate the term "assistance" with another human being.
It's an entirely different matter, and a losing proposition in my opinion,
to try to associate that term with a type of technology. You will either get
hopelessly bogged down with trying to define what technology constitutes
assistance and what does not, or you will completely stifle innovation. I
don't accept your premise that if Single Ops want to use new technology,
they have to operate Single Op Unlimited. It would be a sad day for Amateur
Radio contesting if that sentiment prevailed.

The failure of your criteria to outlaw CW Skimmer for the Single Op category
is precisely why the CAC had to go beyond definitions of "assistance" and
look at the information provided to the operator. The reason CW Skimmer is
illegal for Single Op is because it provides multi-channel "spotting
information", which is defined as:

"Information specifying the transmit or receive frequency and any portion of
the call sign, identity, exchange information, or location of another
station with which a contest QSO could be made."

The information provided by CW Skimmer lets you instantly QSY to a specified
frequency, where you will find a station that you can work for credit. It
eliminates the need to tune the radio to find that station yourself. It
gives you the same competitive advantage as packet, so it puts you in the
Single Op Unlimited or Multi-Operator category.

Oh, and I should point out that the CAC recommended, and the PSC accepted,
that the term "Single Op Assisted" should be changed to "Single Op
Unlimited". That was because the term "assisted" could not be adequately
defined to differentiate between the two Single Op categories.

73, Dick WC1M