[CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question

Michael D. Adams mda at ab1od.org
Tue Jun 5 16:41:17 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM, KU7Y <ku7y.cw at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the things that many less skilled CW operators do is use a CW decoder
> to help them identify a run station and get their exchange before calling.
> This lets them participate in the contest and have fun while learning.  The
> more time these new folks spend in the contest, the better they get.  And
> many of them wind up becoming good CW ops.
>
> I would think that we need to encourage people to not only use such help as
> a decoder but to also make the whole process of sending in their log as
> simple as possible.  After all, these are the true contest operators of
> tomorrow.

I'd like to think I resemble that remark.  :)

Last year's WPX was the first CW test I ever attempted...9 days after
my first CW QSO.   I did use a CW decoder...and I submitted my log as
an assisted entry as a result.

Note that I'm not trying to say that CW decoders should be verboten --
I'm not that much of a hypocrite.  I'm just suggesting that they are
"assistance", and that's OK.

--
Michael D. Adams (AB1OD)
Poquonock, Connecticut | mda at ab1od.org