[CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Wed Jun 6 08:51:39 PDT 2012

On 06/06/2012 13:58, Bob Naumann wrote:

<Snip>

> 1) *Single Operator, Independent* (i.e.; traditional single op, not
> "assisted", not "unlimited") One who operates completely independently from
> others and other systems with *no* dynamic or real time information
> available to him.

OK, I see what Bob is getting at - we're all trying
to do something similar.  The definitions need to be
comprehensive, unambiguous and agreed.  The word
"agreed" is the difficult bit.  Without agreement on
what exactly belongs, or does not belong, to Single
Op Independent, no definition is possible.

The infomation-based approach, as outlined by WC1M,
works some of the time, but not all the time.  For
example, it permits you to use the internet to check
RBN spots of your own call to evaluate propagation.
WC1M suggested this is along the same lines as
using a bandscope to check if the band is open.

To me, that's like arguing it's OK to use a engine in
a cycling race so long as you don't try to go faster
than you did without the engine.  I maintain the
internet is never, ever, appropriate for Single Op.

"Operates completely independently from others and
other systems".  Does this include other communications
systems?  I think it should, and that means no internet
connection whatsoever - which, in turn, means no spotting
support and no remote control.

I'd prefer something along the lines "Operates
independently from other people and from other
communications systems or utilities, and does not
use CW decoders".   (Because CW decoders provide
both dynamic and real time information)

But should the phrase be "non-amateur communications
systems?

Or should it say "Single Op entrants may not
avail of any communications mode or communications
technology or frequency band, other than those
corresponding to their mode(s) and frequencies
of entry to find, facilitate or enable QSOs."

Anyone who tries this soon finds it's not easy.

 > 2) *Single Operator, Connected* (i.e.; Assisted, unlimited, connected,
 > skimmed, et al) Essentially, anything goes without crossing into
 > multi-op.

All subject to other specific rules for each contest,
and to the little matter of licensing conditions,
and actually having a licence for the class of entry.

73,
Paul EI5DI