[CQ-Contest] ARRL-DX SSB : How were condx ?

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Mar 7 04:32:33 PST 2012

<<<I am not surprise you have a lot of YBs in your log. The path between you
both should be easier.
I have received private e-mail from several people confirming condx were
tricky and other stations having a good setup did hear no one from my
area.>>>>>>

We all tend to think a path is to a general region of the world, but it
often is not. Even a few hundred miles can make a large difference in
propagation, depending on path.

<<<<<<
More objectively, I found a way to install both my GP and Moxon beam
together.
I did some comparison with EU stations and the beam is 2 to 3 S point better
on most of the stations.
So my beam is working as expected, but I don't know if it is good for the
path to the US. Takeoff angle is quite wide with -3dB from max Gain between
6° and 20°...>>>>

Unless you are sitting on saltwater in the direction you want to work, any
horizontally polarized antenna  at upper HF should be several dB better than
a vertical, when they have about the same efficiency. Add that ground
reflection gain difference to the few dB gain of the Moxon, and the fact
**most** S meters are only 3 to 5dB per S unit (not 6 dB), and your results
make perfect sense.

An A-B test over time is the smart way to compare things. Too many reach
conclusions based on bad methods, like how one does in different contests
months apart from using a previous system. You have the right way to do it,
now.

73 Tom