[CQ-Contest] ARRL-DX SSB : How were condx ?

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Mar 7 07:18:21 PST 2012

<<<Yes I agree with you that condx can vary greatly with only hundred of
miles, especially when condx are tricky. That's why I needed several
opinions because it only has a statistical value. I was not asking for a
definitive judgement over my antenna choice but more to know if I had to
worry or not.>>>>

They especially vary when the distance is long and the path over or near
earth's magnetic poles. :-)

<<<On 12m and 10m my beam is acting more like an "improved dipole" (8dBi
gain calculated) and in practice I only see 1 S-point difference with the
GP. Again that's coherent.>>

Over earth or freespace gain? A dipole should be about 8 dBi over earth, but
only about 2.1 dBi freespace. Shouldn't the Moxon be 11 dBi or so over
earth, and about 6 dBi freespace? Aren't they around 3 or 4 dBd typically?

73 Tom