[CQ-Contest] ARRL-DX SSB (CQ WPX) : How were condx ?

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 06:37:14 PDT 2012

Hi Yan,

Some comments below.

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 03/27/2012 09:00 PM, Yannick (XV4Y) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a follow-up about my antenna and the path to NA.
>
> During last CQ WPX SSB I had only a few hours that I spend on 15m
> exclusively. Saturday morning I had 30 minutes around 8am local time (01.00z)
> when condx should be good to NA.

The usual short path opening from western NA to SE Asia.

> Condx were Ok but not great. Signals were
> down 1-2 points on the 2elts Moxon heading 15° compared to the vertical. I
> was unable to find a good beam turning the antenna 15 degrees more or less.

The Moxon has some serious interaction with other antennas or metallic objects
when pointed in that direction.

> Sunday evening (13-17z) I spend nearly 4 hours on 15m and the band was really
> hot. The Moxon (at 330°) was 2 S-point better on european signals compared to
> the vertical. I had plenty of S9+10db signals all over the band but it was
> tough to make QSOs! I think my signal (with 100w) was arriving S7-9 but the
> band was full of QRM in Europe so many time I had to wait the frequency to be
> clear (not hearing the other stations) and at one time had an easy QSO.
>
> More surprising later in the night, signals from NA were good also, around 1S
> even if slightly off-bearing.

Long path to eastern USA. That is a surprisingly common opening for the east
coast to work SE Asia while both sides are being towards Europe.

> I have two (temporary) conclusions from this : - On the morning perhaps the
> path is not fully SP or LP and usually NA stations are bearing to JA, not me,
> making things harder to understand.

 From the western USA, the beam heading to JA and XV are almost the same - In
the 310 to 330 degree range.

> - Around 1 meter under my antenna I have
> a roof which frame is in metal. Length is around 10m... If heading 330°the
> main dimension is parallel to the antenna. Heading 015° perhaps the frame act
> as a parasitic element and modify the radiation pattern...

That, or some other nearby metal, is the problem.

73,
Steve, N2IC