[CQ-Contest] Big change in WRTC rules

José Nunes CT1BOH ct1boh at gmail.com
Fri May 18 08:05:44 PDT 2012

I hope I understand correctly draft WRTC 2014 rules
http://www.wrtc2014.org/contest/wrtc-rules/  point 16.2.4:

*Both Radio A and Radio B are allowed to transmit. The contest is a full
Multi-Operator Two-Transmitter type operation. The only limitation is that
each radio must transmit on a different band regardless of mode( e.g., If
Radio A is on 15M SSB, Radio B is not allowed on 15M SSB or 15M CW during
the same time period).*

WRTC used to be a sort of SO2R operation, done by two ops.
One operator would run all the time while the other would be on the look
out for Multiplers or new stations, but only one signal could be on the air
at one time

This new rule change changes things completely into a M2 team operation,
changing strategy and decision making.

I doubt a team will win by keeping both stations RUN all the time.

The winning strategy will come for sure with One station RUN all the time
and the other station alternating RUN with S&P. The correct mix and when to
do it will be pivotal towards winning.

It seems we go back to (good?) old times, before the advent of SO2R, when
the basic skill was to know when to stop RUN and go S&P.

I'm happy to see WRTC organizers innovating in the format giving
strategists more options. Also good local knowledge of propagation will
help much in this regard.

--
José Nunes
CONTEST CT1BOH - http://www.qsl.net/ct1boh