[CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question (yet again)

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu May 31 10:45:22 PDT 2012

Actually, the major point of my comment was directed toward getting real
time propagation information from the internet.  The reference to SCP
was only peripheral.

The original poster talked about getting signal report information >on
his own callsign only< from the RBN to see if the band was open from his
QTH to there.  You stated (I'm paraphrasing slightly) that "finding out
whether the band was open not due to your own efforts" should not in
your opinion be allowed for a single operator entry.  Yet the last link
I posted below does exactly that and has several times been recommended
on this reflector (which is how I discovered it) for use during a
contest with (to my knowledge) never a single objection being raised
about it.  I'm simply having trouble distinguishing between the use of a
few external receivers in the RBN reporting only the signal strength of
one's own transmissions and the use of several external receivers (those
that generate the information to create that propagation matrix)
reporting the results of many more transmissions not even my own.  Both
would tell me pretty much exactly the same thing and both come only over
the internet.  One seems to be acceptable and the other isn't.

As I stated, when I operate unassisted (which is most of the time) I
don't use the internet for ANYTHING, so I'm not trying to argue for any
particular perspective here.   I simply think that the definition of
assistance is still quite murky and subject to a lot of individual
interpretation, and I flat out guarantee that a lot of contesters are
doing things that they think are perfectly legal and ethical while
others would consider them to be clear violations.  People who think
everything is obvious on this subject simply aren't thinking about it
hard enough, and while most of the major contest sponsors have been
trying hard to better define "unassisted" or "single operator", in my
opinion they are still pretty far from having it nailed down.

73,
Dave   AB7E