[CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question (yet again)

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Thu May 31 12:17:44 PDT 2012

So, during a contest, if I call CQ every so often in an attempt to
"run", with marginal to N1L results, is it okay to check whether my call
shows up on the RBN when I'm in a "off" period, R&R, etc.  Or should I
specify "assisted?"  In the search I "mycall" - no others.  I use the
info only to confirm or refute my impression of the results I've been
obtaining from my attempts at "runs."

Another question, when there's a cacophony of S9+99 signals being heard
by the Skimmers on the RBN, like in an international DX contest, will a
pipsquoke signal from my mighty 5 Watts to a cloud warmer antenna be
harder to be heard by these Skimmers?  In other words, does the "overall
level of incoming signals" lower the threshold at which a very weak
signal can be heard?

After the recent CQWPX was over, I checked for my call, I knew I tried
calling CQ for as long as 10 minutes repetitively, but was heard only a
couple times by the RBN skimmers.  Yet, I was working stations from
various parts of the world - many with no problems hearing me - but >95%
while I was S&P.

Just curious.

73 de n8xx Hg
Operated WQ8RP during WPX 2012