[CQ-Contest] Remote contesting

Charles Harpole hs0zcw at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 06:45:44 EST 2012

Tree, is it ok for me to rent my shack to any licensed ham to use remotely
from anywhere to my shack in Thailand?  I guess the renter would have to
get a Thai license and use that call sign or maybe it is ok for him to use
my Thai call sign?  I guess the renter could not use his call sign from his
home location, like Kansas or whatever?  However, would I be liable for him
breaking Thai radio law?  I dont think Thailand says anything about being a
control operator.

Things have gotten complicated without the rules keeping up with them.  I
just say GL and 73, Charly HS0ZCW.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Tree <tree at kkn.net> wrote:

> Paul, EI5DI writes:
>
> > It seems to me that remote-control contesting makes
> > about as much sense as remote-control hunting.
>
> I guess I am not seeing the correlation between the two.
>
> The nature of the way the radio works is that the human is interfacing to
> what is happening in the RF playground using a "modem" if you will (the
> radio).  Inside modern radios - signals are likely being converted to a
> bunch of numbers and back into something the human can hear.  I don't see
> how changing that signal back into a bunch of numbers and sending them to
> the kitchen or India changes the nature of the "hunt" at all.  (I saw a
> posting from someone recently where they finished a contest in the kitchen
> because they had to feed the kids he was "babysitting" while the contest
> was still on).
>
> When I "hunted" my last section - the experience was just the same as if I
> was at home (except for trying to deal with the latency issue).  When VE3ZI
> came back to "W7?" - it was a great feeling.  That's why we contest - for
> the "feeling" - and it is no different.  I had to find the station - figure
> out when (and where) to call him.  I would have gone through the same exact
> steps if I were at the station.  The chase was the same.  Nobody helped me
> "point the gun" or even load it.
>
> I can see something like this being a great option for people who don't
> have a station but want to get involved in a contest.  I know others are
> already doing this.  I don't see how this is a bad thing (other than it
> made me a bit more of a lid than I normally am).  More activity in the
> contest is good for the contest.
>
> Tree N6TR

Charly, HS0ZCW